Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Week 13

 This week I'm just continuing to create webpage design proposals on Go Mockingbird Wireframing. For this next week, I will be creating proposals for four webpages on different subjects.

 One webpage is on E-Books, which will contain the Marin County Free Library's information and services on E-Books. I will create proposals for webpages about Axis 360 and 3M Cloud Library, which will contain information about them that the library wants to include and use on their public site. Lastly, I will create a proposal for a webpage on the Marin County Free Library's downloads called MARINet Digital Downloads, which of course will have information about the library's digital downloads.

 The challenging thing about creating these webpage proposals is not using technical language that library patrons would not understand, but choosing to use simple language that they will be able to understand. It is very tempting and easy to use technical library language or jargon, but it takes more time to figure out how to change the technical language or jargon into simple words or phrases that the library patron will understand.

 When I created the first few webpage proposals, I had made the mistake of using too much jargon, and so I had to create more simple versions of them using language that the average library user will understand. I also was not entirely clear about organizing my proposals into different subjects.

 My site supervisor wants me to create more proposals this week, but she has divided them up into four subjects so that my assignment in more clear to me; these subjects, as mentioned above, are general E-Book information, Axis 360, 3M Cloud Library, and Digital Downloads.

 I think I am now just getting the hang of changing jargon into simple everyday language, and I have a clearer idea of what direction to take with my next webpage proposal designs since the subjects have been divided.

1 comment:

  1. You're not the only person who has a problem converting jargon into every day language for users. I remember the federal government even had training for employees to make their reports and directives more understandable. Here's a link to a site that contains a list of 250 words that should be avoided by local government employees.http://www.benlocker.co.uk/government-jargon-leaves-human-beings-out-of-the-equation/

    ReplyDelete